Thursday, November 02, 2006

Hey! What's Spinnin'?

Finally lifted all the crap off the top of the dust cover on the ol' turntable. Had the urge on the weekend to listen to some vintage (and not-so vintage) vinyl, stuff I haven't listened to in a while. I thought I would first work my way through all the LP's I didn't transfer to cassette back in the 70's, 80's and early 90's. The albums I did record onto tape or CD I've probably played to death, instead I'm going to concentrate on those gems still exclusively on vinyl (in my collection, anyways).

The Beatles - Yesterday And Today (non-butcher cover)
My favourite Beatle's period was around 1965 and 1966, Beatles VI, Help, Rubber Soul, Revolver and Yesterday And Today, which contained tracks from the UK versions of Rubber Soul and Revolver and the singles/b-sides of Yesterday/Act Naturally and We Can Work It Out/Day Tripper. My only complaint...it's so short, I had to flip the disc after only 15 minutes and I think side two is even shorter.

Elvis Costello & The Attractions - Armed Forces
I'm fairly burned out hearing his first two albums on the old car tape deck, but I never got around to transferring this to tape. It still sounds refreshing, those cool new wave-ish keyboards, great snare drum sound...opens with Accidents will Happen and closes with (What's So Funny Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding..killer!
Elvis Costello & the Attractions - Oliver's Army mp3

Creedence Clearwater Revival - Bayou Country
CCR's second album from 1969, not my favourite CCR (Green River, Willy and the Poor Boys) but the only CCR I have on vinyl. This one is well worn, crackling, scratchy, trebley! There are only 7 songs, but two of them are long jams, but it does contain a couple of classics, Born On A Bayou and Proud Mary.
Creedence Clearwater Revival - Penthouse Pauper mp3

Velvet Underground - VU
Released in the 80's as the lost album that should have been released (circa 1969) between the self-titled third album and their fourth, Loaded and some of these songs appeared later on Lou Reed solo albums. It sheds the screechy sound of White Light.. (2nd) and picks up the pace from the sleepy, mellow (but beautiful) Velvet Underground (3rd). It's melodic, guitar based sound, makes it the perfect transition to commercially accessable Loaded, which ironically was released shortly after Lou Reed's departure. Special treat is another Mo Tucker sung tune, I'm Sticking To You.
Velvet Underground - Foggy Notion mp3

Faces - Long Player
This is how I like Rod Stewart, bluesy, soulful, not the watered down mush he's been spewing since the late 70's. Back when he was in the Faces, Ron Wood's guitar work surpassed anything he did with the Stones. On this album, the band was just finding their legs before they spouted in full force on A Nod Is As Good As Wink To A Blind Horse, the next LP I'll be spinning.
Faces - Bad 'N' Ruin mp3

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Binky,

Thanks for stopping by at KNK. Ezarchive is still shit - check your links properly, they dont play for longer than 5 seconds. I think those guys just want out, and they didn't want to have to do refunds to everyone. I tried playing the Elvis Costello you posted, but I got a snippet. Anyway, I've bookmarked your blog, keep up the good work and thanks for the Winnipeg NP.

Locations of visitors to this page