Sunday, July 10, 2016

Blake Babies- 15 Years Ago...Philadelphia 2001

http://www.getoffyourknees.com/pix/julesings.jpg
http://www.getoffyourknees.com/pix/kickitjules.jpg
If you're a fan of the Blake Babies, this is a big week. Yesterday, the band digitally released a collection of songs, the Earwig Demos for those that pre-ordered the album on Pledgemusic (yes, I did!) and yesterday, the band reunited for a pair of shows in their hometown of Boston. The demos are officially available for the first time ever, a nice complement to the original album, Earwig released back in 1989.


The Blake Babies haven't performed together since their last reunion tour 15 years ago in 2001. They previously disbanded in 1992, they first united in 1999, played some shows in 1999 and 2000 and embarked on their last U.S. tour in 2001. During their last run, the band released the album, God Bless The Blake Babies which I think stands up well to their earlier albums. Before they split their very last recording, Epilogue was released in 2002. The return of the Blake Babies is a very pleasant surprise and right now I feel regretful I didn't travel to Boston and Evanston, IL (July 23) to see them live one more time. Hopefully they feel rejuvenated and enthused to tour outside these cities in the near future, but I feel I blew another chance. I regret I didn't see them in Minneapolis in 2001, but some decent live recordings from the tour made the bad decision less painful.

http://www.onlyeverything.dk/PhilGallery/index.htm
To coincide with the Blake Babies latest reunion shows, I'm posting a show from their final leg of the 2001 tour with the third last (?) show in Philadelphia. It's a great sounding recording and the band is in good form. I can't get enough of Juliana live, but there's some sort of musical magic when she performs with John and Freda.
Enjoy!

**Hopefully someone is taping the shows (Boston, Evanston), please let me know and I can post here! Thanks!**

BLAKE BABIES
North Star Bar
Philadelphia, PA
July 19, 2001
AUD


01. Cesspool
02. Until I Almost Died
03. unknown jam (Hospital)
04. Baby Gets High
05. From Here To Burma
06. Nothing Ever Happens
07. Star
08. Civil War
09. Lament
10. Picture Perfect
11. Severed Lips
12. Walk A Thin Line
13. talk
14. Disappear
15. Out There
16. Rain
17. On
18. Girl In A Box
19. Let Me Roll It
20. Downtime

BLAKE BABIES- 2001-07-19 North Star Bar, Philadelphia, PA FLAC. rar

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks. Check out J. Hatfield's recent CD w/ Paul Westerberg under the name The I Don't Cares. It's called "Wild Stab". A little tough to find, but worth it!

robgronotte said...

Thanks! Track 3 is "Hospital" by the Modern Lovers (Jonathan Richman's old band).

Unknown said...

Hi! I just found your blog. Thanks for posting all the Juliana Hatfield shows!
Can I ask, do you have copies of the demos she posted on the download page of her site over the years. I'm missing some of them...

(Posted December 2004 - March 2005)
Stupid Thing /Say My Name / I Didn't Know / If I Could / Invisible

(Posted August 2006)
Where I'm Going / Sick of the City / Hole in the Sky – electric band demo / Don't Walk Away – acoustic home demo / Good Thing Going (Some Girls demo) / The Prettiest Girl (Some Girls demo) / First Love Never Dies (Some Girls demo) / The Star-Spangled Banner

(Posted December 2007)
This Is What I Think Of You / Can't Worry 'Bout That

(Posted 21st February 2009)
I Wish / X's and O's / Not Enough

(Posted 20th April 2009)
Something In Her Eyes

(Posted 9th May 2009
Accidents / You Don't Know Who You Are / I Am Here (without drums)

(Posted June 2009)
The Idea Of Me / That's What You Get For Loving Me

(Posted March 2011)
I Won't Let You Go / I Picked You Up (version 2)

They're nowhere to be found on the net so if you'd be able to post any of them it'd be cool!

binky said...

Yes, I do have some of these songs, I probably downloaded at least a couple groups of these posts. I did mention these free songs on old posts: http://teenagedogsintrouble.blogspot.ca/2007/12/bare-unreleaseddemos-juliana-hatfield.html and http://teenagedogsintrouble.blogspot.ca/2006/08/free-juliana.html

I never actually posted any songs on the blog, but since they aren't available online or (anywhere else?), I will post what I have. I'll pack up the file and post soon. I believe they're mp3's.

Locations of visitors to this page