Monday, November 15, 2010

Liquor Giants- Live In Winnipeg 1998

This show was requested by Anna (thanks for the photo!) who emailed me to say she also attended this Liquor Giants show way back in 1998. There are better sounding recordings than this, but I've never come across a live recording by this highly underrated band, so if you're a fan this is well worth the download. Upon re-listening to this recording I did on my old Sony cassette recorder with a small stealth clip-on microphone, I can't help think how my recordings have changed over the years. Because it's on cassette, the tape hiss and slight tape drag is showing it's age, even though I doubt I played this tape more than a dozen times. This was my first taping recorder (1994>) and it saw a lot of great shows that I should revisit and transfer one of these days, but judging how long it took me to digitize this tape, it could be a while. Nowadays, with my digital recorder I can upload the wav file directly from the recorder to the computer. I also have to separate the tracks, but still it takes a fraction of the time to have a music file ready to burn or uploaded on Dime or the blog.

If you have any requests of bands that might have toured through Winnipeg in the 90's and 00's, please let me know, I could have recorded the show. I once started a live tape list of all the concert recording I have including my masters and shows I traded for, but I haven't updated it since 2004. Since then, I discovered torrents and live recording sites so my list will definitely be huge when I get around to updating it.

This Liquor Giants show was memorable because I remember it was a quiet weeknight (?) with the streets outside the Royal Albert Arms (now just called the Albert) wet with rain and there was a movie being shot in the area. I think Ward mentions James Brolin during the show and upon further investigation, I believe the movie was called, A Marriage Of Convenience, a crappy made for TV movie co-starring Jane Seymour. A clean sounding show, but it's really trebly and hissy, so turn up the bass. I don't have a setlist, so I don't want to guess the song titles, but a lot of the material they play is from their recent releases at the time, Every Other Day At A Time and their all-covers CD, Something Special For The Kids.

LIQUOR GIANTS
Royal Albert

Winnipeg, MB

May 13, 1998


1 Boys Keep Swinging (Bowie)
2 Riverdale High
3 It's Raining Butterflies
4 Fake Love
5 I Know I'm Wrong
6 Dearest Darling
7 Multicoloured Hipshake
8 Cranium
9 Fire Brigade (Roy Wood, performed by the Move in 1965, I think)
10 Hideous Pleasure
11 Kentucky Lounge
12 Beautiful Flo
13 What's The New Motherfucker
14 Chocolate Clown
15 Bastanchury Park
16 Summer School
17 Mrs. Griffin
18 Now That
19 Hold Tight (originally by Dave Dee, Dozy, Mick and Tich, a UK band, probably from 1965)

(thanks Anna for the setlist!!!)

LIQUOR GIANTS- 1998-05-13. rar

3 comments:

Anna said...

Hiya, Geoff–

Thanks so much for this!

You asked for a setlist in your post:

1 Boys Keep Swinging (Bowie) (on the Liquor Giants' "Something Special For The Kids", hereafter SSFTK)
2 Riverdale High (from the LGs "Every Other Day At A Time" on Matador, hereafter EODAAT)
3 It's Raining Butterflies (EODAAT)
4 Fake Love (from "Liquor Giants" on Matador, hereafter LG, the CD before EODAAT)
5 I Know I'm Wrong (EODAAT)
6 Dearest Darling (EODAAT)
7 Multicoloured Hipshake (EODAAT)
8 Cranium (LG)
9 Fire Brigade (Roy Wood, performed by the Move in 1965, I think) (EODAAT bonus track, also on SSFTK)
10 Hideous Pleasure (LG)
11 Kentucky Lounge (EODAAT)
12 Beautiful Flo (EODAAT)
13 What's The New Motherfucker (EODAAT)
14 Chocolate Clown (LG)
15 Bastanchury Park (LG)
16 Summer School (EODAAT)
17 Mrs. Griffin (from "You're Always Welcome", as you know, since you posted it!)
18 Now That (from "Here", on East Side Digital)
19 Hold Tight (originally by Dave Dee, Dozy, Mick and Tich, a UK band, probably from 1965) (LG bonus track)

You may or may not know the order of the Liquor Giants' CDs, but just in case:

1 You're Always Welcome (Lucky Records-1992, aka "America's #1 Recording Artists" on Rubber Records in Australia)
2 Here (East Side Digital-1994)
3 Liquor Giants (Matador-1996)
4 Every Other Day At A Time (Matador-1998)
5 Something Special For The Kids (the covers album; Blood Red Vinyl and Discs-1998)
6 Up With People (Elastic/BMG--a Rubber Records subsidiary/pseudonym, Australia-only, 2000)
7 Back In A Flash (the "best-of" album) (Rubber Records, Australia-only, 2005)

They turned up on various compilations (a Bobby Fuller Four tribute where they covered "Baby My Heart", something called "International Pop Overthrow" with a song called "Big Man In Town" by The Four Seasons), but I think that's about it.

Here's a rarity: the Liquor Giants and Peter (Herman's Hermits) Noone (!) doing a cover version of "I'm Into Something Good"...it's the opening song for an animated direct-to-DVD movie called "The Brave Little Toaster To The Rescue". (Three of the four--Ward, Mark McGroarty, and Mark McNally--all worked at an animation studio called Hyperion who produced the cartoon...you'll note that McGroarty was the production manager.) Unfortunately, character dialogue and sound effects are mixed in, but the band sounds good.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0D6hQY7aZE

Mechanical Forest Sound said...

"If you have any requests of bands that might have toured through Winnipeg in the 90's and 00's, please let me know, I could have recorded the show."

Hm — my curiosity is actually running the other way. I wonder if, by chance, you have anything by some local Winnipeg bands... maybe as an opening set for someone passing through, or own their own, but there are a few that I remember well from back in the day. Grand Theft Canoe I liked a lot. I remember listening a lot to Banned From Atlantis, though I don't think I ever saw them live. '93 to '95 or so would be the sweet spot for me.

And oh, another one — in that same timeframe I went to see Bobby Wiseman a lot when he passed through town. Any chance you ever caught him?

Anonymous said...

Hey, thanks! I've been looking for a live Liquor Giants show for YEARS!

Locations of visitors to this page