Tuesday, July 17, 2012

The Rolling Stones Live At The Double Door 1997


Last week the Rolling Stones celebrated the 50th anniversary of their very first gig at London's, Marquee Club. The lineup for the gig was vocalist Mick Jagger, guitarists Keith Richards and Brian Jones, bassist Dick Taylor, pianist Ian Stewart and Mick Avory on drums. Taylor (Bill Wyman replaced him) and Avory (joined the Kinks) soon left the lineup, while Stewart switched to a backup role; drummer Watts joined in 1963 and guitarist Wood in 1975. There is talk of a tour this fall or 2013 and this might be your last chance to see the living legends live in concert. I've never seen the band live, I have all their albums, pre-Steel Wheels and had my chance to see them when they came here for stadium shows in 1997 and 1994, but for whatever reason I didn't go. I think my feeling at the time is that they were past their prime and I wasn't too keen on any of their albums after Tattoo You which was released in 1981. If they did tour again, I'm sure I would have to travel and since I've been feeling more nostalgic and have been re-listening to all their reissues and special edition versions of their earlier catalog, I might consider making the effort...this could be the last time.


A gig I definitely would have loved to be at was when the Stones played at the Double Door in Chicago in 1997. It's funny cause I walked past the Double Door when I was strolling down Milwaukee Avenue in the Wicker Park area when I visited Chicago last month. I commented to my wife that the Rolling Stones played in this bar as we peeked in and thought how cool it would have been to see the Stones in such a small venue. The place's capacity is less than 500 and with a $7 ticket price it would have been insane to be there. This pre-tour gig wasn't confirmed until midnight the night before and there was a rush to buy tickets (for an arm wrist band) with only 230 tickets sold to fans and another 170 to VIP's with some other last minute tickets at the door.
For more about the gig and a review, read this: www.iorr.org

This is a great sounding soundboard/aud matrix recording that captures the energy of the crowd and intimate feeling of the venue. It's raw sounding and with so many Stones arena/stadium live recordings out there, I prefer the bar shows that make it seem so much more real, if that makes sense. This is a good one, more Stones next post!
Enjoy!

THE ROLLING STONES
The Double Door
Chicago, IL
September 18, 1997

(SBD/Matrix)

1. Little Queenie
2. 19th Nervous Breakdown
3. You Got Me Rocking
4. Crazy Mama
5. The Last Time
6. Anybody Seen My Baby
7. Out Of Control
8. Let It Bleed
9. Shame Shame Shame
10. Honky Tonk Women
11. Start Me Up
12. Jumping Jack Flash
13. Brown Sugar

THE ROLLING STONES- 1997-09-18 Double Door, Chicago FLAC. rar

3 comments:

jestoon said...

Thank you so much. This recording is dynamic, mean, and dirty. Everything you could ask for from the stones.

Cheers,

Jesse

Anonymous said...

it seems the link does not work, do you have a new one?
Regads

binky said...

Try again. Sometimes the links are temporarily down. If not, let me know again.

Locations of visitors to this page