Tuesday, October 03, 2017

This Saturday, PTSD Benefit Featuring The Fuse


It's not often I use this blog to promote upcoming fundraising concerts or special events, but when I feel it is something important I want to get the word out to as many people as possible. This isn't a disaster relief concert or a show promoting some fashionable fad, no it's an often overlooked subject that is affecting more people than you would think.

On Saturday, October 7th at the Park Theatre is the fourth annual benefit concert for the Heroes Are Humans project that provides services to military personnal and first responders who are living with post traumatic effects of their job. The concert is in memory of Ken Barker, a first responder from Winnipeg who took his own life after battling PTSD. According to a study, 24% of first responders suffer from PTSD, a rate three times higher than the regular population.

The Winnipeg band, The Fuse are once again headlining the concert with a performance from musician and first responder, Kevin Davison who opens the show. The Fuse hadn't been active much for many years, but have reassembled and performed at the last three benefits. My pal, Hugh has a personal connection with Ken and his family and he has been connected to the members of the Fuse since the 70's. He has organized this event every year to help raise funds for the project and to raise awareness because this isn't a problem that will just go away. I admire his drive and unselfish attitude and hope more people are educated and more informed than before. He also wants people to come enjoy the music and have a good time, as each year this show brings me back with nostalgic memories of the old days seeing The Fuse (aka: The Six, Jeffrey Hatcher and the Big Beat) at socials and clubs around town in the 80's. I have attended in whole or in part all the shows and if I can show support by buying a ticket and attending, that's the very least I can do. Unfortunately, I'm double booked with another concert the same night, so I'll contribute by donation (or both?). If you are in Winnipeg and are interested in attending, please consider buying a ticket (eventbrite.com), it's for a worthy cause.

Here's a link to last year's benefit. A nice sounding live audio recording of The Fuse and some nifty looking photos I took.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Locations of visitors to this page