Monday, November 05, 2018

Charlie Chesterman- Demos






Today marks the 5th anniversary of the passing of Scruffy the Cat frontman, Charlie Chesterman. His music lives on with recent releases of the Scruffy the Cat compilation, Time Never Forgets and the rarities, unreleased tracks album, The Good Goodbye. Worth checking out are the many albums Charlie recorded after Scruffy, several solo albums as well as records with Chaz and the Motorbikes. His solo recording output far exceeds the Scruffy the Cat releases, so there is much good music to discover. Just before his passing, the compilation, Solid Gold Electric Chestnut Dispenser (a collection of hard to find rarities) was available for download in October of 2013 with proceeds going directly to the Friends of Charlie Chesterman fund. The year before, Chorus Vs. Solos: A Tribute to Charlie Chesterman was sold to help him and his family while he was battling cancer. Needless to say, this man was well loved by his fans, friends and family. Check out the charliechesterman bandcamp page for all his post Scruffy releases to purchase or listen.

What I have is music by Charlie Chesterman not available on any of the compilations or was ever released (as far as I know). It's a disc of demos that I received many years ago from a friend that knew Charlie. (Hint: His band's debut album was produced by Charlie Chesterman!) The songs are demos recorded in a studio, mainly just Charlie and his guitar (with some harmonica), raw demo versions of some songs that appeared later and some I don't think were ever recorded. Off the top of my head, there's early versions of Where'd You Go (from Dynamite Music Machine), If I Had A Heart (from Studabakersfield), Last Summer Night (from Skunk On The Loose). I don't have much information, nor do I have a date when these were recorded, but I suspect it would have been sometime between the end of Scruffy the Cat and his first solo record, so probably early 1990's. If anyone has information about the recording dates and the tracks, please let us know. I'm sure these recordings will be of much interest for Chesterman/STC fans and I hope that sharing these demos is cool. I thought now was an appropriate time to finally share these rare demos.
Enjoy!

Please do NOT sell or convert to lossy
Please share!

CHARLIE CHESTERMAN
Demos (90's?)

01. Pretty Baby Please Don't Go
02. Cry Cry Cry
03. Tell Me What You Think About Love
04. If I Had A Heart
05. You So And So
06. True Love
07. Where'd You Go?
08. ?
09. Lost Summer Night
10. Tornado
11. Folk Tales

CHARLIE CHESTERMAN- Demos FLAC. rar

1 comment:

Post Post Modern Dad said...

I rather Liked Charlie's music, though it was a little too country for me. That's where Scruffy was a great balance between the country and rawk. Still, I do need to finish rounding out my collection of Chesterman's post-Scruffy output. I have a couple. Definitely underrated and grossly underappreciated as well as gone too soon.

Locations of visitors to this page