Sunday, July 04, 2010

Chixdiggit- Live At The Horseshoe


Here's a fun one!
On Canada Day I listed some of my favourite Canadian releases and one of my picks was the debut album by Chixdiggit. I know they may not be everyone's taste, but if you want to see a band that you truly must experience live, go see Chixdiggit! I had the pleasure of seeing them 3 times in the 90's (1996, 1998, 1999) at the Pyramid Cabaret and each time they were very entertaining. Singer-guitarist KJ Jansen gets into his low split-leg goalie stance and the band drives through track after track Ramones-style, stopping only to let mouthpiece KJ say his bit. For a band that started out selling t-shirts before even learning to play instruments, Chixdiggit plays power pop-punk, who's enthusiasm more than makes up for their limited technical talent.

I remember hearing this live recording aired on CBC radio as part of their Just Concerts series on Saturday nights years ago. This show was recorded at the legendary Horseshoe Tavern in Toronto, I believe during Canadian Music Week (it used to precede the Juno awards in Toronto) or NXNE. I'm not even sure of the year, but judging by the setlist it was probably around 2000. A great sounding set and a good example of Chixdiggit's live show, fast, furious and fun...but I wish they played Gerry Cheevers!

CHIXDIGGIT
Live At the Horseshoe Tavern

CBC FM radio broadcast

01 Where's Your Mom
02 Sikome Beach
03 Stacked Like That
05 Gettin' Air
06 Shadowy Bangers From A Shadowy Duplex
07 Great Legs
08 Melissa Louise
09 Quit Your Job
10 Spanish Fever
11 Ohio
12 My Dad vs. P.M.
13 Folks Are Gone
14 I Wanna Hump You

CHIXDIGGIT- Live At The Horseshoe. rar

1 comment:

Canada Spaceman said...

Thanks, I ripped an old VHS tape today.
I recorded the TV broadcast, but not sure if it is the same as your audio rip.
Cheers.
https://ulozto.net/file/jEYsyNbSsFdh/2001-03-30-chixdiggit-in-concert-cbc-radio-3-the-horsehoe-tavern-toronto-channel-10-rogers-cable-320-kbps-tv-vhs-xvid-avi

Locations of visitors to this page