Thursday, August 16, 2018

Day 2: Young Fresh Fellows- Live In NYC 1989



 If you've been following this blog for any length of time you probably already know who my favourite band is. The first clue is in the name of this music blog which is also the title of a song by the Young Fresh Fellows, from their debut album, The Fabulous Sounds Of The Pacific Northwest. Teenage Dogs In Trouble is the 12th track on the album which was released in 1984 and I hope this blog can do justice to the song (and the band). When I traded tapes back in the early 90's, my top band on my want list was any live recordings from the Fellows. A great starting point was the Gag Fah tape that featured a compilation of live, outtakes and rare tracks from pre-1990, but it took me a lot of list exchanges and searching to find any live recordings. Eventually I connected with some traders that had shows from 80's and 90's and once the internet took off I was able to work trades through sites like, Tapetraders.com, eTree and downloading on Dime.  Once you've compiled all you can buy from a band, like the Fellows or the Replacements (albums, CD's 7" ers, eps' etc) the search for live recordings and unreleased songs can only help the addiction to hear more. If you're a fan of the Young Fresh Fellows (or if you're not yet, you will be), four of the twelve days of trouble are for you!

This Young Fresh Fellows show came to me through a trade many years ago along with a couple other Fellows shows. It was transferred onto a CDR as one long track, but for your convenience and mine, I split the tracks and added a setlist. The album, This One's For The Ladies came out the same year as this show and it was the beginning of the Kurt Bloch-era both on record and live replacing guitarist Chuck Carroll. Funny thing is, this might be the first show of the tour after Kurt broke his arm or wrist during a previous show and he was temporarily replaced by the Pontiac Brother's, Ward Dotson on guitar. If you've heard Gag Fah, one of the live tracks is from this show with Dotson on lead vocals for the Mott the Hoople cover, Movin' On. A good sounding audience recording with some cool covers and a select of songs from the Ladies album and Dotson does a very commendable job filling in for Kurt. The date of the show that I had listed when I received the disc was October 11, 1989, but according to the Gag Fah track list, the date is November 16, 1989. I have another YFF show from November 24 in Cincinnati, so it might make sense the correct date is in November. If anyone has any recollection or knowledge of YFF tour dates in 1989, please let me know so we can confirm the date. On the last track (19. Equator Blues (partial)), I don't think this is from the same show and I don't have any information to it's source. Let's call this the bonus track. Anyways, this is a good one, one I've wanted to post for a while.
Enjoy!
#12daysoftrouble

Do NOT sell or convert to mp3 (except for personal use).
Please share!
 
YOUNG FRESH FELLOWS
Pyramid Club
New York City, NY
October 11, 1989 (or November 16, 1989?)
AUD

01. Girl From Ipanema
02. Get Outta My Cave
03. Taco Wagon
04. Picture Book
05. This One's For The Ladies
06. Ms. Lonelyhearts
07. Why I Oughta
08. I Started A Joke
09. Amy Grant
10. Movin' On
11. Middleman Of Time
12. My Friend Ringo
13. Topsy Turvy Theme
14. Rotation
15. Backroom Of The Bar
16. Have Love Will Travel
17. Beer Money
18. Born Free

19. Equator Blues

YOUNG FRESH FELLOWS- 1989-10-11, Pyramid Club, NYC, NY FLAC. rar

2 comments:

Unknown said...

The first date in October is correct, I think. This was not during the Red Hot Chilis Tour which was in November, and on which Kurt broke his arm and was replaced by Ward Dotson. On this Pyramid show it was all Kurt, only Ward jumped up to play Bad Company's "Movin' On". Thanks for all the good words! Scott McOi

binky said...

Thanks Scott (Mel) for clarifying this! Was always somewhat confused about the timeline with this show and the Kurt/Ward situation.

Locations of visitors to this page