Saturday, August 18, 2018

Day 3: Rilo Kiley Live In Minneapolis 2003



I was looking for something more random to post for the third installment of the 12 Days Of Trouble. I already had an idea of what I wanted to post for about 75% of the posts when I decided the take the challenge, but I left open a couple of days to decide later. Most of the posts will have a connection in some way to each other and a clue to what's coming is that "I am stuck in the 90's", you'll see what I"m talking about next post.

I chose a Rilo Kiley show from 2003 for a couple of reasons. It's no secret, I'm a big fan of their first four albums (including their first album) and I have posted some shows in the past, including a Jenny Lewis set at the Winnipeg Folk Festival. She really is so sweet especially on the band's earlier shows (pre-2004) when they were much more low-key and less polished performers. There was something kind of charming about them that said "indie" on smaller labels with less attention and focus just on Lewis, but more on Rilo Kiley the band, if that makes sense.

Another reason I chose this show is because it is recorded at the 400 Bar in Minneapolis, a smaller intimate venue that I've seen a couple of great concerts at. This show has a quiet intimate mood to it that is perfectly matched with the venue and I now regret not making the trip south to see the show. (Unfortunately, the 400 Bar closed it's doors on January 1, 2013) The sound quality of the recording is fantastic taken from the soundboard and thanks to whoever recorded and posted the show on Dime. The setlist leans heavily towards The Execution of All Things album, but also includes early workings of It's A Hit and Portions For Foxes that would appear on their next album, More Adventurous which would be released a year later. The band would gain wider indie success with that album and the days of the small venues like the 400 Bar would be left behind when they signed with the majors with Under The Blacklight. Anyways, here's a look back 15 years ago at the 400 Bar in Minneapolis.
Enjoy!
#12daysoftrouble

Please do NOT sell or convert to mp3 (except for personal use)
Please share!

RILO KILEY
400 Bar
Minneapolis, MN
July 20. 2003
Soundboard

01. It's A Hit
02. Always
03. The Execution Of All Things
04. My Slumbering Heart
05. The Good That Won't Come Out
06. August
07. Paint's Peeling
08. Jenny, You're Barely Alive
09. A Better Son/Daughter
10. Bulletproof
11. With Arms Outstretched
12. Salute My Shorts!
13. Hail To Whatever You Found In The Sunlight That Surrounds You
14. Portions For Foxes / Spectacular Views
15. Capturing Moods

RILO KILEY- 2003-07-20 400 Bar, Minneapolis, MN FLAC. rar

3 comments:

Exodor said...

I get a message that the file is no longer available publicly when trying to download. I love Rilo Kiley and I would love to have a copy of this show - can you check the download when you get a chance? Much appreciated.

binky said...

It works for me now. Keep trying, but if it still doesn't work, PM me and I'll send a different link.

Exodor said...

Working now! Thank you so much - The Execution of All Things is my favorite Rilo Kiley album so I'm really looking forward to listening.

Locations of visitors to this page