Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Hey, We're Twelve years Old!! 12 Days Of Trouble Begins Now! Day One- Early Violent Femmes

Not my actual LP. Taken from discogs.com

Believe it or not, this blog is 12 years old. Despite the takedown notices, copyright infringement violations and general apathy on my part, Teenage Dogs In Trouble is still alive. I know I don't show it all the time, but this music blog is a labour of love, my love of music, live and on record. I constantly surround myself with music that isn't canned shit off the radio or the usual mainstream garbage we are sometimes forced to listen to. Hopefully the people that read this blog can appreciate a similar taste in music as myself or discover music they aren't familiar with before. Through the years I've slightly changed the focus and format of the blog. My original intend was to share music samples from albums and CD's as well as sharing recordings of some the shows I've attended. The takedown notices were in part because of some of the copyrighted music I shared, so in recent years the focus is more on live concert recordings from shows I went to or live recordings that I've downloaded or traded for. I'm also posting in FLAC format instead of lossless mp3. I go to less concerts than I used to, but I have so many live recordings I still want to share so this blog will continue on as long as there is an audience. I appreciate all your comments and I try to reply to as many as possible, so please keep your comments and requests coming.

To celebrate 12 years, I thought it would be fun to challenge myself by posting 12 posts til the end of  August. My track record for frequent posting in the past couple years isn't that good, so this will be very challenging. A popular Instagram/Facebook "thing" are daily or 30 day challenges where the participant will post something (art, music, writing, photos etc.) for consecutive days. I have a friend that just completed a 30 day challenge playing drums to a different cover song everyday as well as a creating a watercolour piece of art. It was amazing and inspiring! (Congrats Kelly!!). I'll be honest, I don't think I can post for 12 consecutive days (I do have a 9-5 job), but I will attempt to write 12 posts from now until the end of the month (in 18 days). I'm coming off vacation and I did a lot of reading (mainly non-fiction music-related) while relaxing at the cottage so many of the posts will reflect the soundtrack of some of what I read or some of the music I listened to on the pod.

Day one begins with an early rare live recording from the Violent Femmes. This recording was ripped from a bootleg LP called, Violence In The Streets which apparently is quite scarce and it was posted on Dime some years back. There isn't an exact date for the concert, but it was from 1983, the same year as the first Violent Femmes album. A friend recommended I listen to their first album right after it was released and it changed my perception of what music could be and it was very influential to my musical taste. For me, it sounded nothing like anything I had heard before. The distinct sound of Brian Ritchie's bass, Gordon Gano's angry vocals, that snare drum sound, that both scared and intrigued me. The lyrics were sometimes religious, was this Christian rock?  Were they anti-religious? I honestly wasn't sure, but really I didn't care, I loved their music! This live recording captures some of the raw energy of the band and it must have been exciting seeing them in a small venue this early in their career. Interesting, the setlist drew from songs from 4 of their first 5 albums as well as a couple songs (Gimme The Car, Ugly) that weren't originally included on the first album (later as bonus tracks on the US CD version). A very good sounding recording that is well worth the listen if you're a fan. Highly recommended!
Enjoy!!

#12daysoftrouble

Please DO NOT sell!
Do not trade this in lossy format.
Convert to lossy for personal use only.

VIOLENT FEMMES
Tupelo's Tavern
New Orleans, LA
XX-XX-1983
very good AUD (on-stage mic?)

Vinyl LP bootleg> CDR> EAC> SHN> CDR> FLAC> rar

01. Kiss Off
02. Girl Trouble
03. Hallowed Ground (called Hello-Girl on the LP)
04. Gimme The Car
05. Country Death Song
06. Gone Daddy Gone
07. It's Gonna Rain
08. Add It Up
09. Special
10. Ugly
11. Prove My Love

VIOLENT FEMMES- 1983-xx-xx Tupelo Tavern, New Orleans, LA FLAC. rar


1 comment:

heartsofstone said...

Happy 12th. Thanks so much

Locations of visitors to this page