Thursday, June 24, 2010

Jayhawks- Winnipeg August 23, 2003


Last weekend, the Jayhawks played a trio of shows at the First Avenue in Minneapolis with their mid-90's reunited line-up. This band featuring Gary Louris, Mark Olson, Marc Perlman, Karen Grotberg and Tim O'Reagon played the legendary venue for the first time in 15 years with this line-up (with original Jayhawk Olson) and I would have loved to have been there. If I didn't take a Chicago vacation a couple months earlier, I no doubt would have made the 7 hour drive. Though I have seen the Jayhawks four times previously, I have yet to see them in their hometown. Here's to hoping they tour or play more shows in the Twin Cities in the near future.

The Jayhawks have played Winnipeg only twice, the first time at the Winnipeg Folk Festival back in 1988 (I think?). More recently they played the Peg in the summer of 2003 touring in support of their last album, Rainy Day Music. This version of the band featured Louris, Perlman, O'Reagon and ex-Long Ryder, Stephen McCarthy on guitar and steel pedal. This was a free show that was part of the Muddy Rivers Music Festival in downtown Winnipeg, in an area known as the Forks. As far as I remember, this was the only year of this festival, which is too bad because Otis Rush and Alejandro Escovedo also played the festival. I recorded this show in front of the soundboard in a 18+ designated area in front of the stage (beer gardens), instead in the grassy field behind the fence, way back from the stage. Unfortunately, it was windy, a curse to all outdoor recorders, so the sound was muffled and caught in the wind. Believe it or not, a soundboard recording was made and shared. I have a copy, one of the rare times a recording has shown up that I actually attended and it sounds much better!
Enjoy!

THE JAYHAWKS
Muddy Rivers Music Festival (Forks Stage)
Winnipeg, MB.

August 23, 2003

(soundboard)

01. DJ Intro
02. Stumbling Through The Dark
03. Angelyne
04. Somewhere In Ohio
05. Take Me With You (When You Go)
06. Tampa To Tulsa
07. Save It For A Rainy Day
08. Blue
09. I'd Run Away
10. All The Right Reasons
11. Lost My Drivin' Wheel
12. Life Floats By
13. I'm Gonna Make You Love Me
14. Waiting For The Sun
15. Haywire
16. Tailspin
17. DJ Outro

JAYHAWKS- Winnipeg 2003-08-23. rar

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw two of the three last weekend. Great shows.

I still prefer their stuff post-Olson though, and prefer them live without him as well. I'm sure I'm in the minority in that however.

Anonymous said...

I think there was at least one previous Muddy Rivers festival. One of the main venues was the now-dismantled amphitheater on the river bank (Assiniboine) west of Bonnycastle Park. I remember seeing Sleepy LaBeef and some reggae dude there.

Locations of visitors to this page