Monday, September 26, 2011

More Ramones Covers- Screeching Weasel and MTX


Covering the Ramones isn't anything unique as evidenced by the number of tribute records that have been released. Some have a variety of artists on one record of assorted Ramones songs while there are many that feature full album tributes covered by one band. Selfless Records and Clearview Records released several of these tributes in the 1990's featuring punk bands covering Ramones albums such as; The Vindictives (Leave Home), The Queers (Rocket To Russia), Boris The Sprinkler (End Of The Century), Beatnik Termites (Pleasant Dreams), The McCrackins and Jon Cougar Concentration Camp (Too Tough To Die).

The first in the series was Screeching Weasel's interpretation of the first Ramones record (Ramones). It's no surprise because Screeching Weasel has always been hugely influenced by the Ramones which led to Ben Weasel forming a side project called the Riverdales which was even more a homage to the Ramones in both sound and image. The album was recorded in 15 hours and was released on vinyl limited to 1700 copies.

SCREECHING WEASEL
Ramones (1992)
  1. Blitzkrieg Bop
  2. Beat on the Brat
  3. Judy Is a Punk
  4. I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend
  5. Chainsaw
  6. Now I Wanna Sniff Some Glue
  7. I Don't Wanna Go Down to the Basement
  8. Loudmouth
  9. Havana Affair
  10. Listen to My Heart
  11. 53rd & 3rd
  12. Let's Dance
  13. I Don't Wanna Walk Around With You
  14. Today Your Love, Tomorrow the World
SCREECHING WEASEL- Ramones. rar

Another band that counts the Ramones as one of their influences is the Mr. T Experience. I stumbled on MTX after hearing the song Danny Partridge which led me to buy their first album, Everybody's Entitled To Their Own Opinion. The second LP I bought was the EP, Big Black Bugs Bleed Blue Blood which had a song on it called, The End Of the Ramones which was played in the "style" of The Ramones. In 1998, the Mr. T Experience released a complete cover of the album, Road To Ruin and it was the first time the abbreviated MTX appeared on one of their records. The album was originally released as a marbled vinyl tour edition of only 300. The album was later re-issued in black vinyl limited to 1700 copies and has yet to be issued on CD. I singled out the Mr. T Experience and Screeching Weasel and decided to post their tributes because I'm a fan of both bands and have most of their album releases. In the early 90's, I acquired several live recordings from both bands which I'm planning to convert digitally someday...stay tuned!
Enjoy!!

Mr. T Experience
Road To Ruin (1998)
  1. I Just Want to Have Something to Do
  2. I Wanted Everything
  3. Don't Come Close
  4. I Don't Want You
  5. Needles and Pins
  6. I'm Against It
  7. I Wanna Be Sedated
  8. Go Mental
  9. Questioningly
  10. She's the One
  11. Bad Brain
  12. It's a Long Way Back
MTX- Road To Ruin. rar

1 comment:

jeffen said...

I'm up for any live MTX bootlegs you have!

Locations of visitors to this page