Tuesday, March 08, 2016

David Bowie- Hemel Hempstead 1972 R.I.P.


It's been almost 2 months since the untimely passing of David Bowie. During that time, many reminisced, remembered and listened to his music. There were tribute concerts, tribute albums and cover versions of his songs performed. For me, it was an opportunity to rediscover his music and though I listen his music frequently, especially the early 70's Ziggy-era, I thought I should branch off and deluge deeper into his vast discography. I actually only have a handful of his live recordings (which I will seek out more of), and I had the opportunity of seeing Mr. Bowie live during the Serious Moonlight Tour and the Glass Spider tour.

One of the shows I had before Bowie's death was this fine sounding recording from 1972. The sound is a little rough to start, but improves soon after. I downloaded this from Dime many years ago. I meant to post this a couple days after Bowie's passing, but never completed this post until now. I've included the text from the original upload for a little more background on this recording. Enjoy!

 Here is the text of the original upload:
This show is one of the most sought after. It was rumoured to be around in "certain circles" for quite a long time and only one song was open to a wider public until now: Gotta Get A Job. So I was really excited when I got it in a trade not so long ago. There will follow a remaster which will be uploaded later. 

The show itself is really great and soundwise it is close to the Kingston Polytechnic from one day earlier. It is a bit annoying that there are cuts between the songs but there always things to complain about. It's simply another great document of the early Ziggy phase with powerful versions of Moonage Daydream (David shouting all his passion out) or Waiting For The Man with a mind-blowing guitar solo of Mick Ronson.

I have attached a really nice cover I found on the Bowiesleeveart web page. Unfortunately no longer publically accessible. 

Also he performs some tracks only present in the early Ziggy phase like I Feel Free or Gotta Get A Job/Hot Pants.

DAVID BOWIE
Pavilion, Hemel Hempstead, UK
May - 07 - 1972
setlist (length 75:14):

01 Hang On To Yourself
02 Ziggy Stardust
03 Superman
04 Queen Bitch
05 Song For Bob Dylan
06 Changes
07 Starman
08 Five Years
09 Space Oddity
10 Andy Warhol
11 Amsterdam
12 I Feel Free
13 Wild Eyed Boy From Freecloud
14 Moonage Daydream
15 Whit Light, White Heat
16 Got Get A Job – Hot Pants
17 Suffragette City
18 Waiting For The Man

The band:
David Bowie – vocals, guitar, harmonica
Mick Ronson – guitar, vocals
Trevor Bolder – bass
Mick "Woody" Woodmansey – drums
Matthew Fisher – piano

DAVID BOWIE- 1975-05-07 Hemel Hempstead FLAC. rar

No comments:

Locations of visitors to this page