Monday, December 30, 2019

Tegan And Sara- CBC Radio 1998 & First Demo- Day 9



As we close in towards the end of 2019, a lot of reviews and best of lists for the past 12 months is upon us. I was listening to the national CBC radio program Q this morning and they are apparently replaying some their highlighted interviews for the year. One of the guests was Tegan and Sara (aka: Tegan Quin and Sara Quin) when they were on air to discuss their latest album, Hey, I'm Just Like You and their memoir book, High School both released this past September. I believe they toured with their band across the country while simultaneously tagging on a book tour (in the same cities) where they discussed the book and performed an acoustic set. Full disclosure, I should state I'm not huge fan of Tegan & Sara, but I have casually followed their career and I don't mind their earlier music. What I do like about them is they are proud to be Canadian and are proud of who they are as people and they are genuinely aware about the world around them (yes, environmental and political) and I think that means something. When the Tegan & Sara tour was suppose to hit Winnipeg in October, the show was cancelled (or at least postponed) due to storm conditions in Manitoba, so the tour buses, crew and equipment were stuck in limbo due to highway closures. A small consolation was that Tegan and Sara flew to town for the book event, so not all was lost.

2019 was a truly a year of nostalgia for T & S with their book reminiscing about their high school days and their album contained re-recordings of unreleased demos the duo recorded as teenagers. While they working on the memoir, supposedly their discovered dozens of recording of songs they wrote between the age of 15-17. "This is the record we never could have made as teenagers, full of songs we never could have written as adults."

With all this looking back at their past, I thought this was an appropriate time to re-up a recording I posted back in 2010 (Live on CBC Radio 1998). I recorded this off the radio, it was a live session/interview at the CBC studio after that had won Garage Warz. They won studio time from the contest to record their first professional demo, Yellow Tape under the name Sara and Tegan.  Just Me and Hello from Yellow Tape are rerecorded for Hey. There's always something satisfying to listen to low budget and raw recordings from the beginning of the career of prolific and successful artists. The repost of the CBC Session is this time in uncompressed FLAC format, while the Yellow Tape file is in mp3 (which I downloaded from the great, Calgary Cassette Conservation Society page.). These are the perfect companion pieces to listen to while reading the memoir, High School, then spin, Hey, I'm Just Like you for the full Tegan and Sara experience.
Enjoy!


Please do NOT profit or sell from these recordings!
#13yearsoftrouble

SARA & TEGAN
CBC Studio 2
Vancouver, BC

May 30, 1998

(FM Master)
1. Intro
2. Interview
3. Here I Am
4. Interview
5. I'm Falling Asleep
6. Interview
7. Days And Days
8. Outro 


SARA & TEGAN- 1998-05-30 FLAC. rar




SARA & TEGAN
Yellow Demo (1998)

1. Here I Am
2. Falling Asleep
3. Hello
4. Just Me
5. Star Money

TEGAN & SARA- Yellow Demo mp3.rar

2 comments:

Gene Poole said...

I saw them when they were still Sara and Teegan!

binky said...

That is very cool! Thanks for sharing!

Locations of visitors to this page