Friday, May 01, 2020

The Pinwheel Sessions- An Upgrade (Pre-FOW)



Several years ago I posted the Pinnwheel (or Pinwheel?) demos, recordings from Chris Collingwood and Adam Schlesinger before they formed Fountains of Wayne. Since Adam's untimely death over three weeks ago, I noticed a sudden interest from that posting which led me to have another listen. I was surprised how good the songs are and the sound quality was fairly polished for demos. My only concern was they were sourced from mp3 and I had always hoped I can seek out the lossless version for possibly better sound quality. I must have been thinking out loud because someone posted the FLAC (lossless) version on Dime (it has since mysteriously disappeared from a couple days ago...?). They were converted from WAV files, so consider this an upgrade over the previous version I posted. I'm listening to the files right now and it sounds a bit fresher and slightly less glitchy. Honestly, it probably won't be obvious or you might not hear a real difference, so listen and judge for yourself.
Enjoy!

  • (Note: In the text file it says it includes the Loftypop Demos, it does not. If anyone has any information about those, please share.)
  • These demos are believed to be recorded as early as 1986 or as late as 1992. Another source says 1993, so take these dates as an "estimate".

Please do NOT sell or profit from this recording!
Do NOT convert to lossy format (except for personal use)
Please share!


Pinwheel or Pinnwheel? (pre-Fountains of Wayne)
"The Pinwheel Sessions" (1993?)

Source:     ANA (generation unknown) > CDR
Transfer:     CDR (generation unknown) > WAV (Exact Audio Copy)
flac:        WAV > flac 1.1.0
Transfer by:    Pete Rosenblum (pmppk)

1.  I Will Never Let You Down
2.  Sinking Fast
3.  Some Girls Tell Lies
4.  Loveland
5.  Bluer Than Blue
6.  Silvertown
7.  Pollen Street
8.  Troubled Times
9.  I Know You Well
10. Slave to Your Misery
11. Cry One Tear
12. Imperia
13. Half a Woman

Note: There is a skip in track 12 that is present in all known circulated copies.
Total Running Time: Once Disc (61:09)

PINWHEEL- Pinwheel Sessions FLAC. rar 

4 comments:

Superenigmatix said...

Cheers mate, my copy was not good quality!

Wut said...

Will these ever be released?

Jim H. said...

I played (bad) substitute guitar for what FOW were called at the time, this is 1990, the band were called Wallflowers (long before Jacob Dylan's band)....i only played one gig with them at the now gone club 'Johnny D's' in Somerville, MA......and the song on these demos called 'Pollen Street' is actually called 'Holland Street', which is an actual street in Somerville around the corner from 'Johnny D's'.....i think much of the the Pinwheel materials would be AFTER 1990.......somewhere i have the tape they gave me to learn the songs for that night!!! GREAT blog!!!

binky said...

Thanks for sharing that story, very cool!

Locations of visitors to this page