Thursday, March 10, 2022

1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die...The First 100

 

Welcome to 2022!

Sorry it's been a while since I last posted. I've been busy with some other projects, I've starting updating my other blog (River City Blackhawk- I'm a crazed hockey fan (Blackhawks) by the way) and I'm trying to carve out a career in art, which of course means I can't afford to buy anything anymore besides art supplies. 


 

 One thing that's been occupying my time every day, is the "1001 albums you must hear before you die" generator. Based on the book of the same name, every day you are randomly given a different album (in that 1001 list) to listen to, then rate and review. There are records in different genres and styles, but they are all considered important or essential listens for whatever reason. Of course, you get a lot of familiar music you've heard already (and maybe even own on vinyl), but also a ton of music I've never heard of before, as well as records I would never listen to voluntarily. This is good and bad, it's a good excuse to listen to music you've been meaning to hear, but there is lots of cringe-worthy material that was a challenge to listen to in it's entirety. The challenge is to put yourself out of your comfort zone and explore and try to understand other genres without feeling guilty or judged. I've discovered lots of great stuff that I'll definitely seek out more and it also confirms my dislike for rap, hip-hop and hair metal and electropop from the 80's. Anyone that's a fan of music should try this challenge, it's fun and forces you to be open and accepting of all music and you don't even have to like it.

I just completed my 100th album today, the first Van Halen album from 1978, and it's been an interesting ride so far. If you miss a day, you can make it up later as the albums will stockpile and await your review, but you can also skip that day's selection as well. To celebrate #100, attached is a link (my 100 albums) to my summary which includes all 100 reviews and ratings so far. Most of my 5 star ratings are familiar classics, but it's surprising how much really, really good music there is that I hadn't heard.

If you want to participate in the 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die challenge, set up your own page  (1001albumsgenerator.com) and immediately you can start listening to and reviewing the music. Generally, there will be a link to listen to the album selection and anyone that uses a music streaming site (I use the premium YouTube Music) should be able to access any of these records. If not, I suggest going to the regular YouTube and stream it there. 

I guarantee this will be the best thing you did all day! Let me know how it goes. Enjoy!!

1 comment:

Jobe said...

Thanks for the heads up on the site. I'm having a great time playing rock critic.

Locations of visitors to this page