Saturday, December 03, 2022

Gear Daddies- Rock For Karl Benefit 2004


 
In May 2004, Karl Mueller, bass player with Minneapolis band, Soul Asylum was diagnosed with esophageal cancer. A benefit concert, Rock for Karl was held to help with the medical bills and it brought out an all-star line-up of Minnesota area bands and musicians that was held at the Quest Club in Minneapolis on October 21, 2004. Bands/musicians included the Gear Daddies, Golden Smog, Paul Westerberg, Bob Mould and of course, Soul Asylum. As a big fan of all of these bands/musicians, this would have been a dream concert for me to attend, but unfortunately I didn't make it to the Twin Cities, but the next best thing, someone recorded the show! I've been sitting on these performances from all these bands since it was posted on Dime in 2004 and I have yet to post any of the shows, until now. I was reminded I had these live recordings when I was searching through my boxes of live discs for something unrelated, but I pulled them out for a future post. This month, Golden Smog (an acoustic version) is opening for the Jayhawks in the Twin Cities, so it's an ideal time to post. Though Paul Westerberg has paused (or retired?) from performing, the other groups are still active in some capacity, so go out and support the Gear Daddies, Bob Mould, Soul Asylum and Golden Smog, if you have the chance! Sadly, Karl passed away June 17, 2005.

First up is the Gear Daddies set from the benefit concert. Though the Daddies hailed from Austin, MN, they've been an integral part of the Twin Cities music scene for almost 40 years and continue to reunite for live shows. They haven't released a new album since the 90's, but front guy, Martin Zellar has been consistently releasing new material with his band, The Hardways. The Gear Daddies perform an excellent set of some of their best known songs and it's a bonus to hear the band live. The sound quality is good, with limited crowd chatter. I'll post the other band's sets soon, stay tuned!
Enjoy!
 

 
Please do NOT sell or profit from this recording!
Do NOT convert to lossy formats, except for personal use
Please share!

 
GEAR DADDIES
Quest Club
Minneapolis, MN
October 21, 2004
Rock For Karl Benefit


Audience recording

01. Intro
02. Cut Me Off
03. Blues Mary
04. Stupid Boy
05. Heavy Metal Boys
06. Drank So Much
07. She's Happy
08. Don't Look At Me
09. Strength
10. Color Of Her Eyes
11. Time Heals
 

3 comments:

Scott said...

I was at this show, and it was a dream day for a lifelong Minneapolis music fan. It was a super huge surprise when Greg Norton joined Bob Mould during his set, as it was the first (and only) post-Husker collaboration between the two. I seem to recall one of Westerberg's songs was a Stones cover with Golden Smog. Am I right on this? Anyway, thank you for this.

binky said...

I really wish i could have been there too, i seriously considered the trip from Winnipeg. I believe it was Grant Hart that joined Bob for a pair of songs during his set, must have been a special moment to witness that in person! I'll be posting that set as well. The Stones song Westerberg sang was Dead Flowers with Golden Smog.

Scott said...

Yes, I meant to say Hart but messed up! Ugh! Mould later wrote about that day in his memoir.

And yeah the Dead Flowers moment was wonderful.

Locations of visitors to this page