Sunday, March 03, 2024

Mojo Nixon & Skid Roper- The Chime, Baton Rouge, LA, 1987- R.I.P. Mojo


 
 “August 2, 1957 — February 7, 2024 Mojo Nixon. How you live is how you should die. Mojo Nixon was full-tilt, wide-open rock hard, root hog, corner on two wheels + on fire…,” his family shared in a statement to Rolling Stone. “Passing after a blazing show, a raging night, closing the bar, taking no prisoners + a good breakfast with bandmates and friends.

“A cardiac event on the Outlaw Country Cruise is about right… & that’s just how he did it, Mojo has left the building,” his family’s statement continued. “Since Elvis is everywhere, we know he was waiting for him in the alley out back. Heaven help us all.”
 
Love him or hate him, Mojo Nixon was a one of a kind guy. Straight shooting, straight talking, Mojo often took things to the extreme, as his songs were often social commentaries and in an interview with Rolling Stone last year he said, “I firmly believe you can make fun of anything as long as your joke is funny. And I also believe that you can say anything, as long as you’re willing to suffer the consequences. We don’t need a thought police.”
 
This is what I loved about Mojo and you have to admit, he was always entertaining! I saw Mojo Nixon perform three times, Twice at the Winnipeg Folk Festival, where he was a hit, in a totally off-beat, anti-hero type of way, especially amongst the Folkies. His first appearance was just before the "Elvis Is Everywhere" craze hit and shortly after he exploded in popularity on MTV. His second time at the WFF in 1990, without Skid, I remember hearing, Don Henley Must Die and Destroy All Lawyers for the first time and it was hilariously enjoyable. I even posted a snippet of one of his performances from that weekend (no, I didn't record it) on the blog in 2015, I must hear for Mojo fans! https://teenagedogsintrouble.blogspot.com/2015/07/mojo-nixon-winnipeg-folk-festival-1990.html The third time was later the same year on October 30, 1990 at the long departed, Le Rendez-vous with his band the Toad Lickers. A great rocking show, at an indoor venue which is so much better than an abbreviated set at a music festival. I don't believe he ever returned to Winnipeg.

I wish I had a live recording from Le Rendez-vous, so instead I had to dip into the Mojo Nixon live archives to find a good sounding recording. I chose the show below because: 1. It's a nice clear sounding soundboard recording, 2. It's a sweet spot album-wise with a lot of tracks from the brilliant, Frenzy album from 1986 and a few choice songs from the soon-to-be released (in a couple of weeks), Bo-Day-Shus!! An amazing performance, with the usual Mojo Nixon shtick and definitely worth a listen!
Enjoy!
 
Please do NOT sell or profit from this recording!
Do NOT convert to lossy formats, except for personal use.
Please share!
 
 
Mojo Nixon and Skid Roper
The Chime
Baton Rouge, LA
July 27, 1987
 
sbd cass > wav > speed corrected > wav > flac

Disc 1:
01. Get Outta My Way
02. Stuffin' Martha's Muffin
03. I Hate Banks
04. I Ain't Gonna Piss in No Jar
05. I'm in Love with Your Girlfriend / The Amazing Bigfoot Diet
06. Skid
07. Rutabaga
08. Gonna Eat Then Words

Disc 2:
01. Be My Lover
02. Elvis is Everywhere
03. Gotta Have More Soul
04. Mushroom Maniac
05. Jesus at McDonalds / Burn Down the Malls
06. Amsterdam Dogshit Blues
07. Gin Guzzlin' Frenzy
 

No comments:

Locations of visitors to this page