Saturday, June 15, 2024

Rockpile- The Park West, Chicago 1978

 

Tonight, for the first time I'm seeing Nick Lowe live! It's hard to believe he hasn't played Winnipeg, though he came close several years ago at the Winnipeg Folk Festival (which technically is outside of Winnipeg), but I prefer the confines of an indoor concert venue to properly see and hear a performer. I've spent the past week "concert cramming", meaning I've listened to everything Lowe has recorded in his long illustrious career that spanned from the late 60's when he joined, Kippington Lodge (which later became Brinsley Schwarz), through his Rockpile days, right up to his current solo albums, which include his collaboration with Los Straitjackets. I have pretty much all his releases up to 1988's. Pinker And Prouder Than Previous, so I was somewhat surprised how many more albums he released since 1990. Admittingly, they're all good and worth a listen, with a mature, older Lowe switching gears slightly, but still has the energy and spark to keep touring and making new music. The show I'm seeing will be Nick and his guitar solo, i would have preferred to see his with Los Straitjackets, but I should just be happy he's playing. He's joined by Canadian singer-songwriter, Ron Sexsmith, who I've seen a couple of times, so it should be a good solid concert, though I'm expecting a mellow, seated show, which I'm fine with. I have a prime seat, first row balcony which will not only be perfect sight-lines, but also it should produce a excellent sounding recording (fingers crossed security looks the other way!). If it all works out, I'll be posting a review/live recording of the show soon!
 
To get in the mood, I'm posting a vintage Rockpile live show from 1978. It's a great sounding broadcast and the lads are smoking hot! This would be circa, Jesus Of Cool (Pure Pop For Now People)/Tracks On Wax 4).
Enjoy!
 
 
Please do NOT sell or profit from this recording!
Do NOT convert to lossy formats, except for personal use.
Please share!
 
 
(billed as: Dave Edmunds Rockpile featuring Nick Lowe)
The Park West
Chicago IL.
November 12th, 1978

 
Late Show
WXRT Unconcert FM Broadcast
R.J.P. Reel to Reel Master
Transferred and Presented By Krw_co

LINEAGE WXRT CHICAGO FM BROADCAST>REEL TO REEL @ 3 & 3/4 IPS TEAC A-7300 REEL TO REEL>
W/MANUAL AZIMUTH ADJUSTMENT>CREATIVE SOUNDBLASTER X-FI HD MODEL #SB1240 WAV (24/96KHZ)
MAGIX AUDIO CLEANING LAB FOR KRW TRACK MARKS VOLUME ADJUSTMENT AND EDITS>WAV 24/96>
TRADERS LITTLE HELPER FLAC LEVEL 8


SETLIST
1 Bobby Skafish WXRT intro
2 Down Down Down
3 So It Goes
4 I Knew The Bride
5 Deborah
6 Trouble Boys
7 I Love The Sound Of Breaking Glass
8 You'll Never Get Me Up In One Of Those
9 Bye Bye Johnny
10 Love So Fine
11 Here Comes The Weekend
12 The Promised Land
13 I Hear You Knocking
14 They Call It Rock
15 JuJu Man
16 Heart Of The City
17 Let's Talk
18 WXRT outro
 
 THE BAND
Dave Edmunds guitar vocals piano organ
Nick Lowe bass vocals
Billy Bremner guitar vocals
Terry Williams drums
 

2 comments:

blureu said...

Enjoy the show. Maybe he will play a new song from the upcoming album?

Art58Koen said...

Thank you for this Rockpile concert, much appreciated.
And do enjoy the show, I never saw Nick live unfortunately...

Locations of visitors to this page