Sunday, October 24, 2010

Stumpy Joe- One Way Rocket Ride To Kicksville!


Here's a underrated gem that I haven't seen too often. Back in the late 80's/early 90's I was heavily into ordering albums through mail order. I requested catalogs from smaller indie labels so I can buy their products directly from the label, because I found it difficult to track down certain records at my local record stores. The idea of browsing through a newsprint catalog (a couple of pages to a small pamphlet), making a list of what I want, going to the post office to get a money order, mailing the letter and waiting a minimum 2 weeks for my package to arrive, is so old-school, but fun. Nothing beats the feeling of receiving a much anticipated package full of music, t-shirts or posters!!

One of the labels I ordered from a lot was Popllama records in Seattle. I bought everything by the Young Fresh Fellows they had in stock, including shirts, 7" ers, LP's, tapes, etc. Over the course of only a couple of years I bought records by Jimmy Silva, the Squirrels, The Fastbacks, the 1st albums from The Posies and Dharma Bums, The Walkabouts, Bum, The Smugglers, Teengenerate, The Picketts, Pure Joy, and the one and only release from Stumpy Joe, One Way Rocket Ride To Kicksville. This is a great album of raw garage inspired rawk with songs about drinking and getting drunk...the perfect party album! At the time when I bought this CD (1992?), I knew nothing about the band, but it came highly recommended by Scott McCaughey (who co-produced, engineered and mixed the record) of the Fellows and staffer at Popllama. When Stumpy Joe split, front-man John Ramberg went on to form the Model Rockets, then later The Tripwires. John is also a member of McCaughey's, Minus 5.

"Forget it man and get with the countdown. Shake this square world and blast off for kicksville".

STUMPY JOE
One Way Rocket Ride To Kicksville! (1991)


1. Drunk Idea
2. Matriculated
3. Proverbial Straw
4. I Would
5. Dumb Lil' Song
6. I Get Drunk
7. Spins
8. Love Plumbin'
9. Crazy Woman
10. Halloween Song
11. Drop a Bomb

STUMPY JOE- One Way Rocket Ride To Kicksville. rar

5 comments:

pd daze said...

thanks for this i didn't know about it Ive left a link for model rockets on hi-lux page

Anonymous said...

I am trying to remember my favourite song off that cd. I think it was spins but I am not certain.

rupi capra said...

I ordered a lot of stuff from that same catalog. Joey Kline's "Pomp and Circus Pants", Prudence Dredge and the cassette only "Raw Critters". Great music. I only wish I'd bought more.

Gates Ballard said...

Stumpy Joe is amazing. So bummed they broke up, hoping for a reunion here in Seattle. Flop was another amazing band of that same vintage - fronted by Rusty Willoughby. Saw them play a little park rec cabin in Bozeman MT circa 1992/3.

binky said...

So overlooked! Stumpy Joe, wish I got to see them live or at least some live recordings. I love Flop too and i think i have some of their live shows. I'll post if i can find them!

Locations of visitors to this page