Sunday, April 03, 2022

Talking Heads- Live At Max's, NYC 1976


 
One of the few pleasures from the last couple troubling years is that I've gotten back to the routine of going to the local library and checking out some books. I'm such a slow reader and I take out more than I can read, so I end up renewing them several times before returning them. One of my most recent returns I couldn't renew because there was a hold request so I only got halfway through it (I will eventually put in a hold request). Most of the books are usually art (instruction), graphic novels and music related. The book in question is David Byrne's, How Music Works, where Byrne analysis many aspects of music from it's influences to recording technology and part biography. A very smart intelligent book every musician and music fan should read and I appreciate it is in plain easy to understand language. He also talks about the early days of the Talking Heads and as you know, I'm fascinated by musician's biographies from their point of view. I'm looking forward to finishing the book (I didn't want to just skim ahead), but in the meantime I've been listening to some Talking Heads live recordings to keep the mood alive (I was listening to TH records while I was reading the book).
 

Reading this book has inspired me to actually write a post (sorry, for the slow 2022, so far) and appropriately some early Talking Heads. The band formed and started playing shows in 1975, so the show we have here is still relatively early, in October of 1976, when the band was still only a three-piece with David Byrne, Tina Weymouth and Chris Frantz (Jerry Harrison wouldn't fully join the band until 1977, he was still in the Modern Lovers, Jonathan Richman's band). The Talking Heads played most of their shows during their first year at CBGB's as a residency, playing consecutive shoes in a week, then expanded to other venues in the New York City area. Max's Kansas City was another club the band played frequently, as both clubs nurtured many critical bands from the era (Blondie, The Ramones, Heartbreakers, Patti Smith Group, Television etc.) providing these bands with a venue to hone their craft. This recording at Max's sounds really good for an audience recording and for the time period and it's a pretty accurate documentation of the Talking Heads early in the career before their debut album was released.
Enjoy!

Please do NOT sell or profit from this recording!
Do NOT convert to lossy formats, except for personal use.
Please share!


TALKING HEADS
MAX'S KANSAS CITY, 
New York City, USA
OCTOBER 9, 1976

AUDIENCE RECORDING BY SKOTF
SKOTF ARCHIVE VOL. 33 (redux)

AUD>MASTER CASSETTE>STAND ALONE BURNER>WAV>AUDACITY (for tracking only)>FLAC

BAND: David Byrne, Tina Weymouth, Chris Frantz

SETLIST:
01. artists only
02. 1-2-3 red light (1910 Fruitgum Co.)
03. happy day
04. don't worry about the government
05. psycho killer
06. love>building on fire
07. thank you for sending me an angel
08. with our love
09. pablo picasso
10. I'm not in love

 

No comments:

Locations of visitors to this page