Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Rilo Kiley @ Bimbo's 2004-09-23


For some reason, I've been re-listening to a lot of Rilo Kiley lately. I've discovered my new co-worker is a bit of a fan and we've discussed how disappointed we were with their last album, Under The Blacklight. I'm a pretty big fan of Jenny Lewis and her band and I started to dig the band before they became more widely known and I must admit, they sound like a different band with the release of their major label debut. I don't know what happens to bands when they gain a wider audience, they somehow lose that "indie-sound" edge, if there is such a thing, and start to sound like every other band on generic mainstream radio. The band used to be refreshingly unique with their quirky lyrics and charming beautiful ballads, but instead the band gets dragged down by it's the slick production and produces a predictable commercial sound. There are some decent moments on Under the Blacklight, but if you want to hear Rilo at their best (according to me, anyways), give a listen to The Execution Of All Things, Take Offs And Landings and More Adventurous. I don't know what the future for Rilo Kiley holds, it's been 3 years since the release of Blacklight and Jenny has been busy with her solo projects, so fans should revisit their older work.

I'm posting one of my favourite Rilo Kiley shows from 2004. This concert was recorded in San Francisco at Bimbo's during their More Adventurous tour, so the setlist features many songs from that album and Execution Of All Things. The concert recording is soundboard quality, so it sounds great and the band is in top form. If you're a fan of Rilo Kiley or want to sample the band live, this is a fine place to start.
Enjoy!
(p.s. Hey Sumi!- Jenny Lewis is NOT Huey Lewis's daughter!)

RILO KILEY
Bimbo's 365 Club,

San Francisco, CA

September 23, 2004

1) It's A Hit
2) Good That Won't Come Out
3) My Slumbering Heart
4) More Adventurous
5) Portions for Foxes
6) Three Hopeful Thoughts
7) Absence Of God
8) A Man/Me/Then Jim
9) Don't Deconstruct
10) Pictures of Success
11) Small Figures In A Vast Expanse
12) Love and War
13) I Never
14) Does He Love You?
Encore:
15) Simply Irresistable
16) The Execution Of All Things
17) A Better Son/Daughter

RILO KILEY-2004-09-23 Bimbo's, SF. rar

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Could it be that when indie bands become successful they are then thrust into the hands of soulless producers who suck away the bands hard edges so as to produce something polished into the producer's own image?

Dana said...

I think it's entirely dependent on the skill/will of those in the band. I like Rilo Kiley (and Jenny Lewis' solo stuff as well) but they've never stuck me as particularly amazing artists.

On the other hand, bands that have stuck me as gifted haven't seemed to have any issue making the transition from indie without a loss of quality. The White Stripes, Arcade Fire, The Hold Steady, The National off the top of my head didn't seem to miss a beat moving up a league.

binky said...

I must admit things are a little different now for indie bands to preserve their artistic integrity. When I think of bands that lost some of their edge and quality when they signed with the majors, I think back to the 80's and 90's with bands like Green Day (remember the flack they received from the punk community), Soul Asylum and the Replacements. I actually liked the Goo Goo Dolls when I saw them back in 91 and they were great...then.

You're right, if the band is gifted and truly talented, it doesn't matter whose label they're on. They'll still be great.

Rob said...

I was at this show and never knew the recording existed until now--thanks!

Locations of visitors to this page